Travel insurance refunds
For detailed information about the impact of COVID-19 on travel insurance, read our COVID-19 travel insurance FAQ’s
We are offering premium refunds for the unused portion of travel insurance, to eligible customers, whose travel plans have been impacted by COVID-19. The portion of premium you have used depends on a number of factors, including your travel dates and whether or not your policy contained journey cancellation cover.
- You wish to cancel your policy; and
- You purchased your policy prior to 18 March 2020; and
- You have not made a successful claim on your policy (i.e. accepted in part or in full); and
- You do not currently intend to make a claim on your policy; and
- You did not commence your travel; or
- If you did commence your travel, you shortened your journey due to COVID-19 and have returned home.
For Multi-Trip and Frequent Traveller policies only criteria 1, 2 and 4 above apply.
If you make a claim after you cancel the policy and your claim is accepted, any refunded premium will be deducted from the claim settlement amount, along with any applicable excess(es).
Please note, no fees will be charged in relation to the cancellation and refund of your policy premium.
For policies that cover journey cancellation, cover starts as soon as you buy your policy, and so your premium starts to be used immediately from the time of purchase. For policies that do not cover journey cancellation, cover starts at the beginning of your journey, and so your premium starts to be used when you commence your journey.
- 18 March 2020, when the Australian Government increased travel restrictions to Level 4, Do Not Travel for all international destinations; or
- The date your trip was due to commence (if this date was before 18 March 2020).
If your policy doesn’t cover journey cancellation, you will get a full refund.
If you are eligible, complete the online form.
- If you purchased via a credit or debit card and this card is still valid, your refund will be processed to the same card used during purchase. Note: Refunds cannot be processed to a different credit or debit card than the one used for your purchase. For security reasons please do not email your credit card details.
- If you purchased via another means, such as a retail travel agency or as part of a holiday package, if your card details have changed or if we do not have your details on file, you can receive your refund via direct deposit. Please have your bank account name, BSB and account number handy.
Once the cancellation and refund for the unused portion of your premium has been processed, you will receive confirmation via email.
Accepting the refund does not affect your ability to get more information or make a complaint. In accordance with the General Insurance Code of Practice, our company provides a Complaints and Dispute Resolution process.
If you would like further information or if you have any questions, please call 1800 440 806 (Monday to Friday, 8am-7pm; Saturday, 8am-5pm AEST) or email us at TravelHelpdesk@allianz-assistance.com.au